SPNHC 2011 Awards- Congratulations to John E. Simmons
June 15, 2011
At our recent meeting in San Francisco, the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections conferred two awards, the President's Award and the Carolyn L. Rose Award.
The 2011 Carolyn L. Rose Award: For outstanding commitment to Natural History Collections Care and Management.
In recognition of his significant contributions to collection management worldwide, with impacts that go far beyond the herpetology collections he managed for 30 years, the SPNHC Council voted unanimously to present the 2011 Carolyn L. Rose Award to John E. Simmons.
It is easy to see that John was a natural to receive this honor when one reads some of the accolades in the support letters that were amassed on his behalf.
- “For anyone interested in fluid-preserved collections, John’s papers have been as enlightening as his wit. They have helped to refute the alchemy that has too often characterized preparation and care of specimens consigned to postmortem existence in liquids.”
- “In my opinion, he is the most current knowledge that creates consciousness and awareness of what we have in Latin America referred to Collections of Natural History.”
- “His knowledge of all things collection management [is] immeasurable.”
- “I doubt there is another person on the planet who knows more about fluid collections and their management.”
- “For over thirty years, John Simmons has been one of the best ambassadors for our profession that we have ever seen.”
- "He is one of the worthiest [people] to receive the Carolyn Rose Award of all time".